Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cajun Cornbread Stuffing

I've been making this recipe for around ten years and I always get requests for the recipe after thanksgiving. It isn't very complicated or fancy but it hits the spot

One Box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
One Egg
Milk
One Can Niblet Corn
Cayenne Pepper
Chopped Onions
Chopped Celery
Chopped Sweet Bell Pepper
Chopped Jalapeno
Diced and Fried Andouille Sausage
Chicken Stock
Cajun Seasoning

Directions

Follow the directions on the box of the Jiffy Mix and bake your corn bread using the egg and the milk. Add some cayenne pepper to the mixture to spice it up.

Dice and fry the andouille sausage. Dice and saute the trinity of onions, peppers, and celery along with the andouille till they are translucent. If you like it a little hotter add a diced jalapeno to the mix.

Break up the cooled cornbread and mix with onion, pepper, celery, andouille ,corn, and chicken broth. Season with Cajun seasoning to taste.

Toss it in the oven and bake approximately 40 minutes at 375.

2 comments:

Popatlal said...

Hey John,

I noticed in one of your comments on another blog you mentioned you had worked for Taco Time in your past.

I'm curious about the cooking technique for their crisp bean burritos -- details like deep frying time, temperature, etc., or if you remember any other specifics.

I have amazing memories of Taco Time from my childhood, but moved to Atlanta long ago and unfortunately don't have them out here. Recreating at home is my only hope :)

Thanks!

John Berkowitz said...

I actually worked at Taco Time in 1975 so that was a long time ago so the actual cooking time and temperature of the oil would probably be just a guess.

Typically 375 is the right temp for about anything you are frying. The burrito's typically float when they are done cooking.

I wish I could be more specific but it has been a long time.